Kingston Municipal Slip and Fall Accident Lawyer

Copy of Fotolia_80750547_XS 400×300Representing Hudson Valley clients faced with municipal personal injury matters

When we travel by foot to and from locations, we navigate through commercial, private, and municipal properties. Whether you are walking on a sidewalk, parking lot, or a crosswalk, you are most likely traveling on a surface that should be maintained up to a reasonable standard. In some cases, you may be walking on the property of your hamlet, village, town, or city. A municipality should consistently monitor its property and address hazards that put pedestrians at risk for injury. Some of the many hazards that could impact a pedestrian include weather-related conditions, cracked pavement, uneven pavement, potholes, slippery substances, and poor lighting. If you can prove that a municipality knew or should have known about a hazard that caused you serious injury, you may be able to recover damages that can help you cover medical bills, lost wages, and more. If you need an effective and determined attorney to guide you through your legal options and represent your needs, contact Jeff Brody Injury Law for a free consultation.

Burden of Proof

Like most slip and fall accidents, the burden of proof falls onto the victim. You will have to prove that the party that owned the property was negligence. This means that they knew or should have known about the hazard and did nothing to address it in a timely manner. For municipal lawsuits, the legal standard is quite high and you will need to convince a court that your injuries were caused by the municipality that owned the property.

What should you do right after a municipal slip and fall

Just like any other slip and fall accident, you should seek medical attention. When you do this, you will have documentation of your injury, where you were injured, and an approximate time of your injury, all while tending to you medical needs. If you are physically able, collect evidence for yourself.  Take pictures of your surroundings and the hazard that caused your injury. Talk to anyone who may have witnessed your accident and try to get their contact information.

Municipal lawsuits are different

If you need to sue a municipality, you must follow strict guidelines that govern the process. The first step will be to file a Notice of Claim with the municipality within 90 days of your accident. The hamlet, village, town, or city you are suing will examine the legitimacy of your claim and may even ask for you to testify to support your case. If they find valid cause for your case, you will have 1 year and 90 days from the incident to file a lawsuit.  This differs greatly from the practice of suing commercial and private property owners. If you have been injured, you do not have a lot of time to file a lawsuit.

Contact an Ulster County personal injury attorney

If you have been injured on municipal property, you need an attorney with the skill and experience to successfully navigate and handle the case. Hiring the right attorney is imperative. You do not have a lot of time to bring a lawsuit and meeting the legal standard to a municipality takes a certain caliber attorney. If you need high-quality legal services from an effective and persistent personal injury lawyer, contact Jeff Brody Injury Law. The Kingston personal injury firm is here to help you recover damages that will make you whole and lessen the burden on your future. Don’t hesitate to contact Jeff Brody Injury Law for a free consultation.